1. Firstly, you should decide what kind of visa you need.
If you are a traveler, you will most likely need tourist visa.
Then you should choose the number of entries.
Single-entry Russian visa allows to enter Russia ONCE within the specified period of time.
Double-entry Russian visa gives permission to enter Russia ONCE or TWICE within stipulated dates.
Multiple-entry Russian visa is valid for more than 2 visits to Russia during 3, 6 or 12 months.
2. Then you need to obtain visa invitation to Russia. It has to be issued by the party inviting you to Russia: tourist company, employing company, educational institution, your relative or friend.
The easiest and fastest way is to make a tourist invitation. With the tourist invitation you can get a Single-entry Russian visa or a Double-entry Russian visa.
For Multiple-entry Russian visa you have to obtain a business invitation. And it can take more time.
There are lots of companies that can make a tourist invitation for you. But some of them are really expensive.
We have chosen two companies that have fair prices for this kind of service. You can get invitation here in russian-visas.net http://russian-visas.net/. It costs;
Tourist visa single entry - € 18
Tourist visa double entry - € 23
And here with the help of this hostel http://www.soulkitchenhostel.com/base/faq.html
it costs 25 €
After that contact your local Russian Consulate to find out their official requirements for visa receipt, which differ from area to area.
3. Then prepare the required package of documents.
For Tourist Visa you will need:
- A valid and signed original passport with at least one blank page, which is valid for at least 6 months after the last day of your stay.
- Two copies of the Russian visa application form (questionnaire), completed (all questions need to be answered) and signed.
- A passport-size photograph (some consulates ask for two copies, signed on the reverse)
- A Tourist Invitation.
4. Apply for visa at the Russian Consulate in your chosen country and pay Consular Fee. The consular fee is not refundable.
5. Learn what the entry requirements to Russia are, and discover what to do when crossing the border.
6. Within 72 hours of your arrival in Russia, be sure to register your visa.
The simplest way is to register your visa at the hotel or hostel. It would be done either at no additional charge or at some administration fee (about 5 Euro) when you check in.
If there is anything you still do not understand, learn more about the Russian Laws governing Visa Policy